Punjabi Salwar Kameez USA
Salwar Kameez or Punjabi Salwar Kameez is a dress normally worn by North Indian people in India. It is a traditional dress of North Indian (Punjabi Women) ladies. Punjabi Salwar Kameez is a symbol of dignity and simplicity and comfortable to wear. Punjabi Salwar Kameez is normally worn with chunni or dupatta. kameez is the upper part of the combination of Punjabi Salwar Kameez and Dupatta. Traditional Kameez is normally long upto knee with wide circumference (Gher) and with full sleeves. It is almost fully covered from the back as back neck line depth like 2”-3" and medium low at the front like 6”-7" as front neck line depth. It is wide or broad at neck like 6”-7" to put the head into the Kameez.
Punjabi Salwar Kameez is also very famous in USA these days. There is a huge community in USA that wears Punjabi Salwar Kameez. Now-a-days, different neck styles are prevalent in the market, few are:
- Round Neck Punjabi Kameez: it is semi circle at the front and crescent or round shape at the back depending upon the measurements.
U Neck Punjabi Kurta: The neck looks like alphabet "U" from the front and back as per given design.
- V Neck Punjabi Kurta: The neck looks like alphabet "V" from the front and back as per given design.
- Pointed U Neck Kameez: The front is like alphabet "U" with pointed very small v at front of "U" neck.
- Split Round Neck Punjabi Kameez: The neck is round with front opening around 2".
- Boat Neck Punjabi Kurta: The neck design is like boat with low from front, back around 4”-5" and wide broad from shoulders like 9”-10"
- Square Neck Punjabi Kurta: The front neck has a shape like mathematical square and back depending upon given design.
- Mandarian Collar Punjabi Kameez: The front is open with high collars.
The upper part of Punjabi Salwar Kameez has different fittings, neck styles, sleeves style, sleeves length, bottom circumference measurements and cuts.
The Salwar part is a bottom part of the Punjabi Salwar Kameez. Traditionally it is wide from top. It has 4 to 5 inches belt attached to rest part of the salwar, which is pleated. Upper part of the Belt has tunnel for drawstring. Normally the traditional salwar size from top at waist area is almost double as the actual waist size to make it comfortable to wear. Salwar has big room at the thigh area for comfort. Salwar has almost double bottom size as the circumference of the ankle so as to make proper space for the feet to put inside for wearing.
The modification in the traditional salwar as part of the Punjabi Salwar Kameez became famous as traditional Churidar Salwar Kamez. It is sleek in look and has leg shape fitting from thigh to bottom part of the leg as compared to Indian traditional salwar. At bottom, it has a small hole with hooks or thread to close the bottom at the ankle.
Further modifications resulted as Patiala Salwar Kameez as the bottom part of Kameez Salwar. Punjabi Salwar Kameez has similar look like Indian traditional kameez salwar. The only difference is that patiala salwar has more pleates and big fall comes on wearing at back.
Further modifications became popular as Parallel Salwar Kameez and Bootcut Salwar Kameez as the bottom part of the Punjabi Salwar Kameez. These have the shape of pants with thin belt, elastic and chain etc with different shapes.