Traditional Salwar Kameez
Salwar Kameez is a dress normally worn by North Indian people in India. It is a traditional dress of North India (Punjabi) ladies. Salwar Kameez is a symbol of dignity and simplicity and confortable to wear. Salwar Kameez is normally worn with chunni or dupatta. Kameez is the upper part of the combination of Kameez Salwar and Dupatta. Traditional Kameez is normally long upto knee with wide circumference (Gher) and with full sleeves. It is almost fully covered from the back as back neck line depth like 2-3" and medium low at the front like 6-7" inches as front neck line depth. It is wide or broad at neck like 6-7" inches to put the head into the Kameez.
Now-a-days different Salwar Kameez Neck Styles are prevelant in the market, few are
- Round Neck Kameez: it is semi circle at the front and crescent or round shape at the back depending upon the measurements.
- U Neck Kameez: The neck looks like alphabet "U" from the front and back as per given design.
- V Neck Kameez: The neck looks like alphabet "V" from the front and back as per given design.
- Pointed U Neck Kameez: The front is like alphabet "U" with pointed very small v at front of "U" neck.
- Split Round Neck Kamez: The neck is round with front opening around 2".
- Boat Neck Kameez: The neck design is just like boat with low from front, back around 4-5" and wide broad from shoulders like 9-10
- Square Neck Kameez: The front neck is just like mathematical square and back depend upon given design.
- Mandarian Collar Kameez: The front is open with high collars.
The upper part of Salwar Kameez has different fittings, neck styles, sleeves style, sleeves length, bottom circumference measurements and cuts.
The Salwar part is a bottom part of the Salwar Kameez. Traditionally it is wide from top. It has 4 to 5 inches belt attached to rest part of the salwar which is pleated. Upper part of the Belt has tunnel for drawstring. Normally the traditional salwar size from top at waist area is almost double as the actual waist size to make it comfortable to wear. Salwar has big room at the thigh area for comfortness. Salwar has almost double bottom size as the circumference of the ankle so as to make proper space for the feet to put inside for wearing.
The modification in the traditional salwar as the part of Salwar Kameez became famous as Traditional Churidar Salwar. It is sleek in look and has leg shape fitting from thigh to bottom part of the leg as compared to Indian traditional salwar. At bottom it has small hole with hooks or thread to close the bottom at the ankle.
Further modifications resulted as Patiala Salwar as the bottom part of Salwar Kameez. Patiala Salwar kameez has simiar look like Indian Traditional Salwar Kameez except patiala salwar has more pleates and big fall comes on wearing at back.
Further modifications became popular as Parallel Salwar Kameez and Bootcut Salwar Kameez as the bottom part of the Salwar Kameez. These have the shape of pants with thin belt, elastic and chain etc with different shapes.